The AFPC-Pfizer Research Career Award
I. Name of the Award:
"Pfizer Pharmaceutical Research Award - Association of Faculties of Pharmacy of Canada".
Pfizer Canada Inc.
To stimulate and foster the development of research programs in all areas of Pharmacy by recognizing research excellence of members of the academic staff of Faculties, Colleges, or Schools of Pharmacy in Canada.
- A suitable framed certificate will be presented to the recipient at the annual meeting of the Association of Faculties of Pharmacy of Canada (AFPC).
- Pfizer Canada Inc. will reimburse the recipient for travel expenses including return economy class airfare, from his/her residence to the site of the AFPC research conference. A maximum stipend of $250 per diem shall be provided for each day's attendance at this conference.
- As further recognition of the recipient's contribution to pharmacy and the significance of the Award, Pfizer Canada Inc. will present the recipient with a cheque in the amount of One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00).
- AFPC will provide the recipient with full registration and cost of social activities to attend the conference.
V. Selection Criteria:
- Each candidate must be an active member of the academic staff of the Faculties, Colleges, or Schools of Pharmacy in Canada.
- The candidates for the Award shall be:
- Pursuing an active research career in pharmacy, including the supervision of graduate students and/or postdoctoral fellows; and
- Exerting a broad influence on pharmaceutical research as recognized by peers at national and international levels.
- The Award may also be given for a distinguished career or for a particular special achievement in pharmaceutical research.
VI. Procedures for Nominating Eligible Candidates:
- Candidates shall be nominated by at least two AFPC members.
- The nominees shall sign the nomination forms indicating their willingness to let their names stand.
- The nominators shall submit a covering letter, not exceeding two (2) typed pages, outlining the qualifications of the nominees that make them worthy of the Award, according to the "Criteria for Selection" for the Award. The candidates research supervisor or research collaborators are not eligible to serve as nominators.
- The application shall include a complete current curriculum vitae, provided by the nominee. The c.v. shall include information concerning the nominee's academic training and career, including positions held; honors and awards; peer reviewed grants; peer reviewed publications; invitational presentations; offices held in scientific or learned societies; editorial or advisory positions held with scientific or learned publications; visiting professorships; postgraduate fellows and graduate students directed, along with titles of projects; graduate or research courses or seminars conceived, taught, or coordinated; relevant collaborations with other researchers; and such other information, including unpublished manuscripts, which may be relevant.
- The nominators shall also solicit the opinions of three (3) referees who are recognized experts in the nominee's field; at least one of the referees must be from outside Canada.
VII. Method of Selection:
- Prior to September 30 of each year, the Executive Director of AFPC shall inform all members of the terms of reference, criteria, and application procedures for the AFPC-Pfizer Award.
- Applications, including all relevant materials and documentation as outlined in "Procedures for Nominating Eligible Candidates", must be received by Email in PDF format (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the Executive Director of AFPC no later than December 15.
- The Awards Committee of AFPC shall review all nominations and select the candidate who, in their judgment best meets the criteria for the Award.
- The Awards Committee may also choose to solicit opinions from recognized experts regarding the eligibility of the candidate for the award.
- The Awards Committee shall make their selection no later than April 1st and forward the name of the winning candidate to the Executive Director of AFPC, who shall in turn inform Pfizer Canada Inc., after appropriate ratification of the Committee's decision by the AFPC Executive.
- Presentation of the Award shall be made at the annual meeting of the AFPC.
- The successful candidate must agree to attend the AFPC annual conference to receive the Award and to make a suitable research presentation on that occasion.
- No individual may receive the Award more than once in any ten (10)-year period.
- If there is no suitable candidate, the Award shall not be given in a particular year.
- Nothing shall preclude the presentation of the AFPC-Pfizer Award posthumously, provided the candidate was not deceased prior to twelve (12) months before the presentation of the Award.
|Filename||File Type & Size|
|AFPC – Pfizer Research Career Award
See Awards book pp. 35-40 for details.
Submission of award applications should occur by Email on or before the due date indicated for each award to Harold Lopatka.
|PDF | 186.59KB|
Click on the filename to download the file.
In order to view the Adobe Acrobat PDF files, you must have Adobe Acrobat (version 5.0 or higher) installed on your computer system. Adobe Acrobat Reader is free, and freely distributable, software that lets you view and print Portable Document Format (PDF) files.