Merck Canada Ltd. Postgraduate Pharmacy Fellowship Award
- In an effort to stimulate the pursuit of research careers among pharmacy students and graduates, Merck Canada Ltd. offers one $15,000 Fellowship to support the best student entering or continuing postgraduate studies in Pharmacy at a Canadian University.
- The recipient will receive a $13,500 stipend and $1,500 will go towards research expenses such as books, travel to symposia, photocopying materials, etc.
- The fellowship is awarded primarily on the basis of academic standing and publication activity of the candidate.
- Eligible candidates are final year students in a pharmacy or pharmaceutical sciences degree program (B.Sc. or entry level pharm D) or pharmacy practitioners (including hospital pharmacy residents) who are entering postgraduate (M.Sc. or Ph.D.) studies in a Faculty, College or School of Pharmacy in Canada. First-year graduate students who have a pharmacy or pharmaceutical sciences degree (but no advanced degrees) and are enrolled in an M.Sc. or Ph.D. program in a Faculty, College or School of Pharmacy in Canada are also eligible.
- This program is designed primarily for applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada. Awards may also be made to exceptional candidates who are neither Canadian citizens nor permanent residents at the time of application.
- In the event where the selected recipient holds another award, the student is eligible to receive this award as long as the sum of the two awards does not exceed $30,000 annually.
- Previous winners of the award are eligible for renewing, but only for one additional year.
- Applications are included in the awards booklet
- The Fellowship is announced to pharmacy students and practitioners at every Faculty of Pharmacy during September.
- Eligible applicants in each Faculty of Pharmacy must submit their applications for the fellowship to their respective Deans by no later than December 15.
- Applications shall include an official transcript of academic records.
Selection of Fellowship Recipient:
- Eligible applicants in each Faculty of Pharmacy must submit their application for the Fellowship to their respective Deans no later than December 15.
- Each Dean of Pharmacy will select two candidates from among the applicants in his/her Faculty. The basis for selection is academic achievement and publication activity over the preceding two years. Where applicable, the candidate must maintain high academic performance during the balance of the final year.
- Each Dean of Pharmacy will, no later than January 15, submit his/her candidates’ complete application electronically in PDF format to the Executive Director (Harold Lopatka) of the Association of Faculties of Pharmacy of Canada (AFPC).
- The Awards Committee of the Association of Faculties of Pharmacy of Canada will, no later than March 31, select the winner of the Fellowship award. The basis for selection is academic performance, publication activity, and fields of research in need of support.
Payment of Stipends & Duration of Support:
Holders of the Merck Canada Ltd Postgraduate Pharmacy Fellowship will be paid monthly through the office of the accountant at the University at which the award is held.
The term for the Fellowship award will be one year. The Fellowship holder may re-apply for one additional year only by following the procedure described above.
|Filename||File Type & Size|
|Merck Canada Ltd. Postgraduate Pharmacy Fellowship Award
See Awards book pp. 13-22 for details.
Submission of award applications should occur by Email on or before the due date indicated for each award to Harold Lopatka.
|PDF | 186.59KB|
Click on the filename to download the file.
In order to view the Adobe Acrobat PDF files, you must have Adobe Acrobat (version 5.0 or higher) installed on your computer system. Adobe Acrobat Reader is free, and freely distributable, software that lets you view and print Portable Document Format (PDF) files.